Company 'Vehicle' and 'Own Vehicle' Policy
IN THIS SECTION
s part of our overall health and safety policy, Chapman Opticians Ltd and Chapman & Myers is committed to reducing the risks which our staff face and create when driving or riding for work. We ask all our staff to play their part.
Staff driving for work in their own vehicle must ensure that it always complies with the law, is in safe and roadworthy condition and is suitable for its purpose. Persistent failure to comply with the policy will be regarded as a serious disciplinary matter.
Senior managers must:
lead by example, both by ensuring that their own vehicle is always in a safe condition and by not tolerating poor driving practice among colleagues.
Line managers must ensure:
- they also lead by personal example
- staff understand their responsibilities to ensure their vehicles are legal, safe and well maintained
- staff receive appropriate help and advice to ensure their vehicles are safe
- periodic checks of vehicle documents are conducted to monitor compliance of staff who use their own vehicle for work
- periodic visual inspections are conducted of staff's own vehicles that are used for work
- work related road safety is included in team meetings and staff appraisals and periodic checks are conducted to ensure our vehicle policy is being followed
- they follow the monitoring, reporting and investigation procedures to help learn lessons which could help improve our future road safety performance
- they challenge unsafe attitudes and behaviours and encourage staff to take care of their vehicles.
Staff who drive their own vehicle for work must:
- ensure it is taxed and has a valid MOT
- ensure their motor insurance policy includes business use cover for the amount and type of business mileage they undertake
- ensure that the vehicle is serviced according to the manufacturer's specifications
- present the vehicle's MOT certificate, insurance policy and service schedule for inspection on request
- ensure the vehicle is not used inappropriately, (e.g. unsecured load carrying, or hazardous off-road access)
- report road safety problems, including crashes, incidents, fixed penalty notices, summons and convictions for any offence, including vehicle defects, to their line manager
- present their driving licence for inspection regularly and on request
- co-operate with monitoring, reporting and investigation procedures.
Back to Policies